This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclosure.
When your friends are hurting or feeling down, sometimes the best thing you can do is to just be there and support them. Finding the right words may be difficult depending on the situation, and you might feel powerless, not able to help a person you love. To help you out, here is a collection of positive words of encouragement for a friend who needs to hear them.
How to encourage someone to stay strong?
When someone is experiencing deep emotional pain, sometimes “stay strong” is the worst thing to say. Even though you mean well, phrasing it like this may imply hiding or suppressing their feelings, which is not the healthiest thing to do. Instead, offer your support and gentle motivation.
Let them know that it’s ok to feel all the feelings and it’s ok to cry it out if that’s their way of dealing with hard times. Then be there for them through it if you are close enough, and hold their hand when necessary.
Understand that the kind of encouragement they need varies depending on the situation. Whatever is right to say to motivate your discouraged friend after a business setback is hardly appropriate for a person depressed after losing someone close.
Below you’ll find different ways to express your support in words depending on the kind of struggle they are in.
Most heartfelt encouraging words for a best friend
The more goals we have in life, the more setbacks and failures we experience along the way. The only person who never fails is someone who doesn’t grow and is not willing to ever leave their comfort zone.
Oftentimes things don’t happen as we expect. We feel sad and disappointed and sometimes even lose hope. In those difficult times, it’s nice to have a best friend who can encourage us, show a different perspective, and motivate us to keep going.
Be that friend for someone! Tell them you are here for them and help find the good even in the worst situation. More often than not, it’s bad experiences and setbacks that lead us to success and amazing achievements!
1. Remember when you were there for me? It’s my turn to do the same for you.
2. Sending you good thoughts – and hoping you believe in yourself just as much as I believe in you.
3. You can do anything you set your mind to.
4. Sometimes when you are in a dark place you think you have been buried, but actually you have been planted. – Christine Caine
5. We’ve got friends for our happiest days and saddest moments. I hope you know I’m your friend now just as much as ever.
6. If you don’t jump darling, you’ll never fly.
7. Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. – Martin Luther King Jr.
8. You have a greater potential than anyone who has ever lived before you! But you’ll never “make it” by sitting on your duff and telling the world how great you’re going to be, starting tomorrow. – Og Mandino
9. You did not fail. You only have a different trail.
10. Even when you might not feel it, you’ve got the strength to get through.
11. Sometimes it takes a tough ending to make a bright new beginning. Wishing you all the strength you need right now.
Words of encouragement for a friend who is feeling down
What if your friend is feeling down without any apparent reason? That’s probably the easiest situation on this list to deal with! All they need is some cheering up and to be surrounded with good vibes, like the ones you bring!
Other than saying encouraging words, offer your friend a bunch of positive affirmations for inner strength, a warm hug, and a comforting drink. Maybe find a feel-good movie to watch or some other positive thing to do together.
12. The next chapter of your life is gonna be so amazing!
13. Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.
14. So what if you make mistakes? That’s what it means to be human and that’s how you learn to become better. – Amy Pendergrass
15. Whenever you feel weak, remember the things that made you strong. Whenever you start to doubt yourself, remember those who believe in you.
16. Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. – Oprah Winfrey
17. Amazing things happen when you distance yourself from negativity.
18. Let go of something old that no longer serves you to make room for something new. – Roy T. Bennett
19. You are much stronger than you think.
20. Sorry things are crappy. If you need somebody to binge-watch a whole season of something with you, I’m there.
21. Everyone has inside them a piece of good news. The good news is you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is. – Anne Frank
22. There is no such thing as failure is just life trying to move us in another direction. – Oprah Winfrey
Little encouragement gifts to support a friend who struggles
Have you ever noticed how our self-perception differs from the way other people see us? Like when you have this amazing friend who inspires you every time you meet or talk but she thinks very little of herself? Or when someone is strong and creative and totally able to achieve something big but is so beaten by a setback that loses any self-belief and can’t see things clearly?
Sometimes just saying encouraging words once is not enough. In those difficult times, a little unexpected gift with a nice motivational message can go a long way! It will be with them at all times, even when you can’t be, and remind them of how awesome they are and that things will be better soon.
Here are a few suggestions I have of such thoughtful presents:
Words of encouragement for a friend going through hard times
At one point or another, everyone experiences a tough time. Whatever your friend is going through, your strong belief in them and uplifting words will help them live through it.
Show them your love and support by saying these empowering things with absolute confidence. Make sure it doesn’t sound like a pity! Make them wonder what it is that you see in them to be so sure of their success.
23. You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.
24. Great things never came from comfort zones.
25. You’re being so strong – and patient. Keep the faith. Things are going to start looking up soon.
26. The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don’t give up.
27. This is what you’re going through, not who you are.
28. Sometimes we can only find our true direction when we let the wind of change carry us. – Mimi Novic
29. There’s no doubt in my mind that you’ll succeed in whatever path you choose next.
30. Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination. The best is yet to come.
31. You are amazing for facing this with so much courage and hope.
32. No matter how much it hurts now, someday you will look back and realize your struggles changed your life for the better. – Birister Sharma
33. Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.
Short encouraging words for friends
Sometimes a person is so deep in their sadness that your well-thought encouraging words and quotes don’t really reach the destination. In this case, just be there for your friend when she needs you and aim for the short but meaningful words to say.
34. You got this.
35. Sending major good vibes your way.
36. This is tough, but you’re tougher.
37. Stop beating yourself up. You are a work in progress.
38. I’m here. And I have wine.
39. Let your unique awesomeness and positive energy inspire confidence in others.
40. You’re on my mind and in my heart.
41. If you want the light to come into your life, you need to stand where it is shining.
42. I know this won’t be easy, but I also know you’ve got what it takes to get through it.
43. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.
44. Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Words of encouragement for a friend who is depressed
Clinical depression is no joke. More often than not it’s not something you can talk your friend out of. If you recognize her state as something deeper than the usual blues and can’t seem to be of any help, maybe suggest she talks to a professional.
Remember that it’s not about you, it’s about her. Don’t feel helpless and unnecessary, focus on how you can help turn things around for her.
Encouraging words and your loving presence are still important but you can’t substitute a professional therapist. Offer her to try an online service like Talkspace, where she can express everything she feels that she maybe doesn’t feel comfortable sharing with loved ones. The platform is full of licensed therapists who are available 24/7 and know what to do. And she won’t even need to leave her bed for this if she doesn’t want to.
45. It’s okay not to be okay.
46. Don’t lose hope, you never know what tomorrow will bring.
47. Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending. – Maria Robinson
48. Just because the past didn’t turn out like you wanted it to, doesn’t mean your future can’t be better than you ever imagined.
49. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. – Kahlil Gibran
50. The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend time feeling sorry for themselves. – Barbara Corcoran
51. Rock bottom became the solid foundation in which I rebuilt my life.J.K. Rowling
52. You need to give yourself permission to be human. – Joyce Brothers
53. Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place.
54. We need never be ashamed of our tears. – Charles Dickens
55. When the going gets tough, put one foot in front of the other and just keep going. Don’t give up. – Roy T. Bennett
Humorous words of encouragement for a friend
Life is serious enough already and often a bit of gentle humor is what’s missing to cheer your friend up. Try to put a smile on her face and give her a different perspective on the situation.
Here are a few quotes that should do the trick!
56. The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there. – Vince Lombardi
57. This totally sucks, but you totally don’t suck.
58. The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces. – Will Rogers
59. If “Plan A” didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters! Stay cool.
60. The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs… one step at a time. – Joe Girard
61. Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door. – Kyle Chandler
62. If you’re going to be thinking, you may as well think big. – Donald Trump
63. Don’t let the muggles get you down.
64. A failure is like fertilizer; it stinks to be sure, but it makes things grow faster in the future. – Denis Waitley
65. You can get through this. Take it from me. I’m very wise and stuff.
66. Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia. – Charles Schulz
Words of encouragement for a friend after death
There are no right words when someone is facing the loss of a close one. The best you can do is to allow her to feel what she feels however long she needs to cope. Don’t try to be cheerful and positive when she is hurting like that, it might only make her avoid your company.
Acknowledge her emotions, let her know you are there for her, and actually be there when she needs you. Only time will heal the rest.
67. Know that it’s okay to feel however you want to feel during this time and I will be here for you.
68. I can’t imagine how you feel. But I can listen when you need to talk.
69. I wish I could take your pain away.
70. When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy and to love. – Marcus Aurelius
71. Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity. – Terri Guillemets
72. Maybe I can’t be there, but there’s definitely something I can do. Whatever it is, let me know.
73. It is very important that we do not try to run away from our painful feelings. We can recognize, accept, embrace, and look deeply. – Thich Nhat Hanh
74. I’m thinking of you. And I’m just a text or phone call away.
75. Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you. Know that I will be here to support you through all of this.
76. This happens to everyone. Not everyone deals with it as well as you.
77. I hope you find some peace today.
Final words on encouraging a friend in need
Here you go! 77 ideas on words of encouragement for a friend.
Being a good friend doesn’t always mean knowing the right words to say. The truth is, even though verbal encouragement helps, your mere presence is often enough to make sure your friend doesn’t have to go through it alone.
Hope you found what you were looking for and your friend gets better soon!