This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclosure.
Is it too naive to believe in the possibility of world peace? Maybe so, but who is to say what’s possible and what’s not? On this page, I put together a list of 77 quotes about world peace for other optimists like me!
Call me a dreamer, but I believe that one day there will be a generation that only knows a peaceful world. And yes, I’m writing this while there’s a war happening in my home country, and I still have hope.
If only we all were kinder to each other, and made an effort to replace negative thoughts with good ones, the world would be a much better place! Likely without wars and hatred. I mean, a girl can dream…
Anyway, here are my favorite inspirational quotes against war and conflict, starting with the 10 best ones about world peace!
10 best quotes about world peace
What do you think does it take to stop the war and achieve peace in the whole world? Tell me in the comments if you have an idea that doesn’t involve violence! Meanwhile, here are the greatest quotes about peace of all times!
- Plant the seed of kindness in your heart and it will blossom into peace. – Michael Sotelo
- No matter how you may try to justify it. You can never justify war. On the other hand, you don’t need to justify peace – it is always beautiful. – Bhuwan Thapaliya
- If you don’t know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he’s just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It’s one world, pal. We’re all neighbors. – Frank Sinatra
- Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace, and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war. – Winston Churchill
- There are perhaps many causes worth dying for, but to me, certainly, there are none worth killing for. – Albert Dietrich
- Peace is not just the absence of mass destruction, but a positive internal and external condition in which people are free so that they can grow to their full potential. – Petra Karin Kelly
- It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it. – Eleanor Roosevelt
- If we do not work for individual transformation, talking about world peace is just entertainment. – Jaggi Vasudev
- Each moment is a chance for us to make peace with the world, to make peace possible for the world, to make happiness possible for the world. – Thich Nhat Hanh
- We will never know peace and stability in the world without balance. And we will never know balance without justice for all. Yet, justice exists only where there is fairness and equality — when every man and country is treated and viewed equally. No country should be given power over another. In addition, no country should be granted privileges that are denied to others. No one country has the authority to decide which country will be embargoed, denied to protect itself, and will be favored based on the weight of their resources. Eliminate the hypocrisy. – Suzy Kassem
Inspiring quotes for World Peace Day
These International Peace Day quotes are perfect to share with friends while celebrating the idea of a peaceful world on September 21st!
11. The world is full enough of hurts and mischances without wars to multiply them. – J.R.R. Tolkien
12. Peace comes from being able to contribute the best that we have, and all that we are, toward creating a world that supports everyone. But it is also securing the space for others to contribute the best that they have and all that they are. – Hafsat Abiola
13. It’s not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It’s our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless. – L.R. Knost
14. Bravery is the choice to show up and listen to another person, be it a loved one or perceived foe, even when it is uncomfortable, painful, or the last thing you want to do. – Alaric Hutchinson
15. It is all about the individual. And we can all become a better world if we become better, more loving individuals ourselves. There is no other way that will ever work better than love. – Dan Pearce
16. Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.Desmond Tutu
17. Peace won’t come from Washington, Moscow, Brussels, or Geneva. It can only come from the dust and dirt of the streets that we the people walk on every single day of our ordinary yet alive existence. – Abhijit Naskar
18. Earth is the playground of our children and their children. We cannot allow it to be the playground of the nuclear arms of the evil forces. – Amit Ray
Beautiful posters for World Peace Day
If you need an art print to decorate your home or office before World Peace Day, here are some of my favorites from Society6!
Click on any poster you like to see the current price and availability.
Short world peace quotes
You don’t always need a lot of words to express your feelings. One of these quotes could be a nice motto for our new peaceful world! And in case you are looking for a personal motto, I’ve got a few sharp badass quotes here, make sure to check them out.
19. Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet. – Thich Nhat Hanh
20. Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. – Albert Einstein
21. When you have power and use it for a destructive purpose: you don’t deserve it. – Udai Yadla
22. Peace is something we must all work for, every day, in every country. – Ban Ki-moon
23. The only alternative to war is peace and the only road to peace is negotiations. – Golda Meir
24. You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist. – Indira Gandhi
25. Build bridges, not walls. – Suzy Kassem
26. An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. – Mahatma Gandhi
27. Only the brave men and women can bring peace to the world, not by practicing war but by practicing nonviolence. – Amit Ray
28. The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. – Sun Tzu
Best quotes about peace and unity
As Ukraine is showing the whole world every day, even the war can’t break a peaceful independent nation. In fact, we are now more united than ever before, together against cruelty and violence. Staying together is everything at times like this.
29. We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. – J.K. Rowling
30. Every breath we take, every step we make, can be filled with peace, joy and serenity. –Thich Nhat Hanh
31. Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. – Martin Luther King
32. All for one and one for all, united we stand divided we fall. – Alexandre Dumas
33. So let us persevere. Peace need not be impracticable, and war need not be inevitable. By defining our goal more clearly, by making it seem more manageable and less remote, we can help all peoples to see it, to draw hope from it, and to move irresistibly toward it. – John F Kennedy
34. Not one of us can rest, be happy, be at home, be at peace with ourselves until we end hatred and division.John Lewis
35. We are all equal in the fact that we are all different. We are all the same in the fact that we will never be the same. We are united by the reality that all colours and all cultures are distinct & individual. We are harmonious in the reality that we are all held to this earth by the same gravity. We don’t share blood, but we share the air that keeps us alive. – C. JoyBell C.
From Mahatma Gandhi to Martin Luther King, many of the world-known personalities had something to say on the subject of peace. Let’s hear them out now, and maybe learn a thing or two!
36. Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. – Mahatma Gandhi
37. Peace does not mean an absence of conflicts; differences will always be there. Peace means solving these differences through peaceful means; through dialogue, education, knowledge; and through humane ways. – Dalai Lama
38. The greatest personalities that ever existed have been those who united human beings and put them on the road toward cooperation and effectiveness and peace. Those whom the world has held highest have helped to unite and not sever interconnectedness. They have not been the destroyers of differences but the harmonizer of differences. – John Lovejoy Elliott
39. We must see that peace represents a sweeter music, a cosmic melody, that is far superior to the discords of war. – Martin Luther King
40. I was once asked why I don’t participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I’ll be there. – Mother Teresa
Funny world peace quotes
Even though the topic of world peace is not very appropriate to laugh about, a genuine smile has never hurt anybody. Besides, humor releases stress and anxiety, which is something that many of us could really use right now.
41. Hundreds of wise men cannot make the world a heaven, but one idiot is enough to turn it into a hell. – Raheel Farooq
42. Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. – George Carlin
43. Don’t wait for a better world. Start now to create a world of harmony and peace. It is up to you, and it always has been. You may even find the solution at the end of your fork. – Sharon Gannon
44. If it costs you your peace, it’s too expensive.
45. Warning! Hippies have been spotted in this area. Peace, love and understanding could break out at any moment.
Beautiful quotes about peace on earth
This is the list of the most beautiful quotes about peace on earth I was able to find. Tell me in the comments below, which one touches your heart the most!
46. Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us and the world will be as one. – John Lennon
47. If you want to end the war then Instead of sending guns, send books. Instead of sending tanks, send pens. Instead of sending soldiers, send teachers. – Malala Yousafzai
48. This world is a magical place without us. All the drama, wars, hatred and the like, originate from, and brew in our minds. If we can individually heal our minds, we can finally see the magic in our world. – Dr. Jacinta Mpalyenkana
49. We each possess what is needed to create peace on earth. We all know how to love, we just need to practice using that knowledge in all aspects of life.Lisa Prosen
50. Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures. – John F. Kennedy
51. God wanted to make heaven and the earth is that heaven. Nowhere in the universe there is so much love, life, beauty and peace. Enjoy your stay with the fellow beings. – Amit Ray
52. To really change the world, we have to help people change the way they see things. Global betterment is a mental process, not one that requires huge sums of money or a high level of authority. Change has to be psychological. So if you want to see real change, stay persistent in educating humanity on how similar we all are than different. Don’t only strive to be the change you want to see in the world, but also help all those around you see the world through commonalities of the heart so that they would want to change with you. This is how humanity will evolve to become better. This is how you can change the world. The language of the heart is mankind’s main common language. – Suzy Kassem
Quotes about war and conflict
When you talk about peace, mentioning the opposite is inevitable. We wouldn’t be longing for world peace as much if we weren’t hurt by war and conflict. These next few quotes are about the ugly side of our beautiful humanity.
53. Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die. – Herbert Hoover
54. The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. – G.K. Chesterton
55. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other’s children. – Jimmy Carter
56. There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. – Howard Zinn
57. No more war, war never again! Peace, it is peace, which must guide the destinies of people and of all mankind. – Pope Paul VI
Famous quotes about world peace
This is my final list of quotes from famous people to conclude a collective peace message to the world! The rest of the sayings below will be more personal, dedicated to being at peace with yourself before everything else.
58. How vile and despicable war seems to me! I would rather be hacked to pieces than take part in such an abominable business. – Albert Einstein
59. When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. – Jimi Hendrix
60. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
61. Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope.Margaret Thatcher
62. There is a higher court than courts of justice, and that is the court of conscience. It supersedes all other courts. – Mahatma Gandhi
63. Of all our dreams today, there is none more important – or so hard to realize – than that of peace in the world. – Lester B. Pearson
Peaceful quotes for the soul
These are some beautiful quotes about peace and love that are meant to nourish your soul and stimulate positive emotions to calm down and heal from the inside.
64. Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset. – Saint Francis de Sales
65. If you have peace in your heart, then you will find that the whole world is peaceful. – Debasish Mridha
66. Be at peace with your own soul, then heaven and earth will be at peace with you. – Isaac of Nineveh
67. Our heart is wide enough to embrace the world and hands are long enough to encompass the world. – Amit Ray
68. Peace brings with it so many positive emotions that it is worth aiming for in all circumstances. – Estella Eliot
69. Instead of railing against hate, we focus on love; instead of judging the angry, we offer them our peaceful presence; instead of warning against a dystopian future, we provide a hopeful vision. – Gudjon Bergmann
70. The way of peace is the way of love. Love is the greatest power on earth. It conquers all things. – Peace Pilgrim
Quotes for being at peace with yourself
Remember that you are a human being, not a machine. You are allowed to feel all the feelings, react to the circumstances, and be imperfect in all ways. Cherish yourself and find your inner peace, which will keep you afloat in times of uncertainty.
71. When you make peace with yourself, you make peace with the world. – Maha Ghosananda
72. If you are depressed you are living in the past, if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present. – Lao Tzu
73. Unless and until we have peace deep within us, we can never hope to have peace in the outer world. You and I create the world by the vibrations that we offer to it. If we can invoke peace and then offer it to somebody else, we will see how peace expands from one to two persons, and gradually to the world at large. Peace will come about in the world from the perfection of individuals. If you have peace, I have peace, he has peace, and she has peace, then automatically universal peace will dawn. – Sri Chinmoy
74. If you avoid conflict to keep the peace, you start a war inside yourself. – Cheryl Richardson
75. When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.Winston S. Churchill
76. You should feel beautiful and you should feel safe. What you surround yourself with should bring you peace of mind and peace of spirit. – Stacy London
77. When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others. – Peace Pilgrim
Final words about world peace
I’m glad you are still reading, as it means you are really into the idea of world peace!
Living in the 21st century, you’d think there are so many good causes to put our attention to. Solving hunger in evolving countries, developing new amazing technologies, exploring other planets, saving our planet from plastic and other harmful things… Instead of funding all this, some politicians decide to pour a ton of money into stupid and unnecessary wars.
Am I positive enough to think that world peace is possible? Yes. Am I seeing it in the nearest future? Sadly, no. Some countries and leaders, I think, still have a long road ahead to figure out the line between good and bad. But I’m sure at some point in the future, maybe even one of our next generations, will look back at all these wars from the 21st century and see us as weird Neanderthals, incapable of living in peace and surviving in kindness together.
Let’s hope this time will come soon!