This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclosure.
Unless you live in the woods alone, you probably have met people who can be classified as negative. Maybe you even have someone like that in your close circle. If that’s the case, these negative people quotes and sayings will feel very relatable and might give you the courage to minimize or even eliminate the time you spend around all that negativity.
The more you allow toxic people with negative attitudes into your life, the less happy you appear to be. Many of them are literally energetic vampires who drain your good energy every time you communicate, leaving you empty inside and vulnerable to negative thoughts.
It’s crucial to stay as far away from negative people as possible if you want to live a happy and fulfilling life. Even though it’s not always an easy task, you have to cut every toxic person out of your life so they don’t pull you into their negativity anymore.
Can negative people affect you?
It is said that you are an average of people you spend the most time with. When you surround yourself with negative people, you are more prone to subconsciously imitate their behavior. This might mean becoming a complainer, feeling miserable or sick and tired all the time, and focusing on negativity to the point of naturally attracting it.
And did you know that regular complaining is literally damaging to your brain? A whole nother reason to avoid negative people at all cost!
Instead, find your high vibe tribe! Surround yourself with people who are positive thinkers, motivated, determined, and therefore successful. People who easily find joy in life and who give you reasons to smile every time you meet. People who teach you by example to be happy and grateful every day.
While you’re looking for new positive friends, make sure you are not a negative person yourself so that nice people will actually want to be your friends! You might channel some inspiration from my collection of positive quotes for negative thinkers.
Remember that you can totally change your mindset and become more positive, especially when your environment supports your growth!
Top negative people quotes and sayings
1. Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive, it’ll take their breath away. – Tony Gaskins
2. You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people. – Joel Osteen
3. Don’t walk away from negative people – run! – Mark Twain
4. The world is full of people who complain, who look for the negative in life, and who are constantly pulling each other down. The world is full of people who think only of themselves and try to make the rest of the world as miserable as they are. – Jessica Jones
5. Be happy. It really annoys negative people. – Ricky Gervais
6. Don’t allow negative people to steal your joy. When you lose your joy, you lose your strength. – Joel Osteen
7. Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light. Try not to take it personally. – Kamand Kojouri
8. Associate yourself with people who think positively. You cannot surround yourself with negative people and expect positive outcomes. – Roy T. Bennett
9. The negative people are not alone. They live with their demons. – Tamerlan Kuzgov
Quotes about avoiding negative people
10. As you begin to walk away from negativity and toxic people, it will inspire you to embrace positivity and your life will become more rewarding and fulfilling. – Germany Kent
11. Your life becomes peaceful when you start removing negative people from your life. – Garima Soni
12. Elevation requires separation and if you are not willing to let go of certain people you will never rise to your rightful position. – Sope Agbelusi
13. Be certain to limit your exposure to negative people and environments. – Asa Don Brown
14. Try as much as possible to spend your time with positive people and family to increase the possibility that their positive attitudes will rub on to you. It’s really difficult to be a negative person when everyone around you is really positive. – Michael Welton
15. In order to reach your highest potential, it is imperative that you remove all negative people from your life. – Germany Kent
16. People who are constantly negative have a tendency of rubbing off that negativity to others. It’s not just annoying, it is unhealthy. Surround yourself with positive people and positive attitudes. – Louise R Allen
17. When you first realize that somebody doesn’t value your worth, value yourself enough to distance yourself from that person. – Germany Kent
18. However, when you make the decision to avoid associating with negative people your own attitude will start to change for the better. – Alex Uwajeh
Toxic people quotes and sayings
19. Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow. – Unknown
20. Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes. – William Gibson
21. Save your skin from the corrosive acids from the mouths of toxic people. Someone who just helped you to speak evil about another person can later help another person to speak evil about you. – Israelmore Ayivor
22. Certain people give off positive energy, others negative. It’s the quality of someone’s being, a measure of the love with which they’ve led their lives. It also reflects the inner work they’ve done, their efforts to heal anger, hatred, or self-loathing, which poison us like toxic fumes. – Judith Orloff
23. Removing toxic people from your life can repay you in scores of holistic wealth. – Keisha Blair
24. Be patient with the negative people of the world. Take a moment to think how they are helping you clarify your own thinking and firming your own resolve. Then, headslap them out of your way. – Deacon Jones
25. The term naysayers is how I refer to the people and social forces who tap into negative thinking and undermine your belief in your own ability to create holistic wealth. – Keisha Blair
26. When you get negative people out of your life, negative things stop happening to you. – Randy Gage
27. Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out. – Zig Ziglar
People’s negative attitude quotes
28. Don’t let someone who has a bad attitude give it to you. – Joyce Meyer
29. Nothing has ever been achieved by the person who says, ‘It can’t be done.’ – Eleanor Roosevelt
30. People appear like angels until you hear them speak. You must not rush to judge people by the colour of their cloaks, but by the content of their words! – Israelmore Ayivor
31. Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don’t hang around long enough for his/her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead, surround yourself with optimistic people. – Zig Ziglar
32. People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. – George Bernard Shaw
33. Someone who smiles too much with you can sometime frown too much with you at your back. – Michael Bassey Johnson
34. A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. – Hugh Downs
35. There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. – W. Clement Stone
36. I don’t look to the negative people because the only people who ever tell you that you can’t do something are the ones who haven’t done it themselves… the ones who failed. – Chris Jericho
Being a negative person quotes
37. Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power. – Shirley MacLaine
38. No one forces a person to be negative, and no one forces anyone to be positive. The choice is up to an individual and that person alone. – Byron Pulsifer
39. Positive people are able to maintain a broader perspective and see the big picture which helps them identify solutions where as negative people maintain a narrower perspective and tend to focus on problems. – Barbara Fredrickson
40. There is too much negativity in the world. Do your best to make sure you aren’t contributing to it. – Germany Kent
41. Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses. – Alphonse Karr
42. A negative mindset will keep you stuck in a cycle of desperation and fear. – Sope Agbelusi
43. Never make negative comments or spread rumors about anyone. It depreciates their reputation and yours. – Brian Koslow
44. Your thought patterns can be a wellspring of abundance to live life on your terms. But negative talk and self-doubt are a drain on your inner resources. – Keisha Blair
45. The grumpier you are, the more assholes you meet. – Banksy
Quotes on being around negative people
46. Be careful with whom you associate, especially when you feel emotionally vulnerable, because negative people can steal the dream right out of your heart. – Joel Osteen
47. Look around you at the people you spend the most time with and realize that your life can’t rise any higher than your friendships. – Mandy Hale
48. Don’t give up. There are too many nay-sayers out there who will try to discourage you. Don’t listen to them. The only one who can make you give up is yourself. – Sidney Sheldon
49. Cutting negative people from my life does not mean I hate them, it simply means I respect me. – Marilyn Monroe
50. I find the positive in the negative all the time. Any time you give something power, it wins, and it can continuously happen, so I just let negative people know they have no place in my life. They have no place around my children. – Monica Denise Brown
51. Don’t be distracted by criticism. Remember – the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you. – Zig Ziglar
52. It is important to surround yourself with people who lift you up, encourage you, share your vision and inspire you. – Les Brown
53. I don’t like any kind of negativity. I try to be good to everyone, whether it’s a love, a friend, an ex. I’ll always try to treat people the way I want to be treated. – Nina Dobrev
54. Don’t ever give up. You can’t let discouragement get you down. You can always find negative people that will try to discourage you from your goals. You can’t be discouraged, and you can’t let the word “no” stop you. – Paula Deen
Negative friends quotes
55. People who try to bring you down everyday aren’t important in your life, so you better treat their opinions as such. – Terry Mark
56. Complaining is a complete waste of one’s energy. Those who complain the most accomplish the least. – Robert Tew
57. Toxic people spread their toxin to you and then you, in turn, become a wasteland like they are. – Body Focus
58. Avoid negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you! – Auliq Ice
59. Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself. – Hussein Nishah
60. It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you’ve known forever don’t see things the way you do. So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on. – Nicholas Sparks
61. Surround yourself with loving, caring, happy people and get rid of the negative people that drag you down. – Heather Rose
62. If you hang around a bunch of negative people who only whinge about everything, your hate will grow, and you will probably never create. – Dan Norris
63. Negative thoughts and friends, better be distanced. – Vikrmn
Negative family quotes
When negative people are not just your acquaintances or colleagues but your immediate family, it becomes the most challenging. You keep giving them second chances a thousand times and supporting them over and over again, even though nothing ever changes and you feel down after every interaction.
These quotes about negative relatives might help you realize that even though staying with a toxic family seems like an honorable thing to do, it destroys your own life and you might be better off without them.
64. If the family you chose before your birth no longer supports your path towards fulfilling your true destiny, it is never too late to find a new tribe. – Anthon St. Maarten
65. No matter how much you love the person, you cannot change them. You may influence them; but at the end of the day, they must decide for themselves. – Robert E. Baines Jr.
66. People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings. – Hendrie Weisinger
67. You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them… but still move on without them. – Mandy Hale
68. Some people have a positive attitude towards life only when all is well. However, when the going gets tough, their attitude changes instantly, and they become very negative or are consumed with self pity. – Catherine Pulsifer
69. Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family. – Unknown
70. Develop a can-do spirit and be sure you are not suppressed by the naysayers whose daily actions are meant to discourage you from achieving what you believe. – Israelmore Ayivor
71. People who consider themselves victims of their circumstances will always remain victims unless they develop a greater vision for their lives. – Stedman Graham
72. May you reach that level within, where you no longer allow your past or people with toxic intentions to negatively affect or condition you. – Lalah Delia
Quotes about a relationship with a negative person
73. Love is supposed to lift you up, not hold you down. It is supposed to push you forward, not hold you back. – Suzy Kassem
74. It is better for someone to break your heart once by leaving your life, than for them to stay in your life and break your heart continually. – Terry Mark
75. Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless. But you’re not worthless. You’re underappreciated. – Steve Maraboli
76. No matter how many times you tried to give them advice to solve their ‘problems’ out, tried to help or comfort them, to show them that things aren’t really that bleak or desperate, they just kept on whining. They didn’t change a single thing. – Luka Maras
77. Sometimes we must undergo hardships, breakups, and narcissistic wounds, which shatter the flattering image that we had of ourselves, in order to discover two truths: that we are not who we thought we were; and that the loss of a cherished pleasure is not necessarily the loss of true happiness and well-being. – Jean-Yves Leloup
78. People hold onto the wrong person because they think that person has the potential to be a better person. – Sonya Parker
79. If you walked away from a toxic, negative, abusive, one-sided, dead-end low vibrational relationship or friendship — you won. – Lalah Delia
80. You don’t let go of a bad relationship because you stop caring about them. You let go because you start caring about yourself. – Charles Orlando
81. I wouldn’t date a girl with a bad attitude. I’m Mr. Positive. – Nick Jonas
Inspiring quotes to stay away from negativity
82. One of the most crucial but hardest things to do as part of turning your life around is to get rid of all the negative people around you and replace them with people who encourage you instead. – Neal Boortz
83. Avoid negative people at all costs. They are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. – Brian Tracy
84. Negative people can only infest you with discouragements when they find you around… Just get lost and get saved! – Israelmore Ayivor
85. Distance yourself from negative people who try to lower your motivation and decrease your ambition. Create space for positive people to come into your life. Surround yourself with positive people who believe in your dreams, encourage your ideas, support your ambitions, and bring out the best in you. – Roy T. Bennett
86. Negativity will distract you from your goals, so don’t entertain it. – Carlos Wallace
87. Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambition. – Mark Twain
88. Don’t believe the noise. Those mean, petty, hateful voices will never be the majority. They only seem loud and pervasive, because they have the idle time to broadcast their negativity. The rest of us are too busy with real efforts to make the world a better place. – Anthon St. Maarten
89. Avoid cynical and negative people like the plague. They are killers of potential. – Rick Pitino
90. The minute you step away from the negative people in your life you will instantly see the beauty in your horizon. – Bill Walsh
Final thoughts about negative people
These were 90 quotes and sayings about negative people. I hope they inspire you to cut toxic people out of your life so they no more prevent you from being the best version of yourself.
Let me know in the comments below which of these quotes about negative people was the most relatable for you! Personally, I love sayings #5, #24, #31, #57, and #90. Can’t wait to see your numbers!
More inspiration for you today:
- 101 Quotes About Bad Friendships And Toxic Connections
- 111 Best Relatable And Funny Quotes About Annoying Friends
- 85 Hilarious Quotes About Crazy Friends
- 77 Words Of Encouragement For A Friend In Need
- 80 Positive Affirmations for Letting Go Of The Past And Negativity
- 66 Inspiring Positive Quotes For Negative Thinkers