This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclosure.
Why do we need to read quotes about smiling through pain? Because pain is always temporary.
No matter how dark the night is, we can always expect to see the sun rising eventually.
Reading inspiring thoughts from people whose pain was likely much bigger than yours puts things into perspective and makes your situation much more bearable.
Some of these quotes are funny enough to naturally make you smile. At some point, you’ll catch yourself smiling, and might get surprised that you still can, even though your pain didn’t go anywhere.
This will be the start of your healing journey.
Whether your pain is physical or emotional, be kind to yourself and allow enough time to let your mind and body heal properly. Try to minimize the negative thoughts that tend to keep coming back. Replace them with positive affirmations and hope for the better.
Your pain will fade away, and it will all get better, I promise!
Put a smile on your face, and keep going.
Best quotes about smiling through pain
1. To everyone battling a difficulty or under attack right now, smile, keep your head up, keep moving and stay positive, you’ll get through it. ― Germany Kent
2. You have to learn to smile through your pain. Sometimes it’s all we got. ― Sherrilyn Kenyon
3. It is better to smile through pain than to cry through sorrow. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
4. Smile once a while; even if life tastes like bitter bile, just file out your teeth and cheeks and take a mile of sweet smiles… Smile, make it your life’s style. Decorate your face with piles of smiles! ― Israelmore Ayivor
5. Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. ― Thich Nhat Hanh
6. Keep Smiling!! Life melts the frozen hearts into the blooming buds when you just smile and sway with poise. ― Aishwarya Sridhar
7. Maybe it’s not about having a beautiful day, but about finding beautiful moments. Maybe a whole day is just too much to ask. I could choose to believe that in every day, in all things, no matter how dark and ugly, there are shards of beauty if I look for them. ― Anna White
8. Remain cheerful, For nothing destructive can pierce through The solid wall of cheerfulness. ― Sri Chinmoy
9. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. ― Martin Luther King Jr.
10. You don’t have to wait for a storm to pass to paint your own rainbow. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
11. The struggles we endure today will be the ‘good old days’ we laugh about tomorrow. ― Aaron Lauritsen
12. The world could be frowning all day long. But don’t be deceived. it needs your smiling face. So smile anyway.Martin Uzochukwu Ugwu
13. Most important decision we should make every morning is to be happy and cheerful throughout the day. This one decision has the power to make our life magical. ― Purvi Raniga
14. Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever. ― Roy T. Bennett
15. You’ll find that life is still worthwhile if you just smile. ― Charlie Chaplin
Meaning of smiling through the pain
Smiling through the pain means keeping your head up and remaining positive even when you are going through difficult times. Research shows that even fake smiling can reduce pain thanks to the neural connections that activate happiness hormones in response to flexing the facial muscles.
This is why it’s only logical to keep smiling even when you are sad or hurt. It may seem counterintuitive but you’ll feel better!
A common way to approach the concept of smiling through pain is hiding emotions and pretending to be fine no matter what. (There is a section below for fake smile quotes if that’s what you are looking for.)
While this “survival mode” works for some people, it doesn’t have to be the only solution for you. Besides, those people might seem fine, but oftentimes they are lonely and keep going through the cycles of pain without any support. That’s surely not a healthy way to live.
It’s okay to be vulnerable and you never have to go through the hard times alone. Talk to people who care about you, or ask for professional help if you feel like nobody you know can understand what you feel.
Smile even though it hurts quotes
16. Let us make one point, that we meet each other with a smile when it is difficult to smile. Smile at each other, make time for each other in your family. ― Mother Teresa
17. The more you smile, the more reasons you will find to smile. ― Debasish Mridha
18. If you ask what is it that warms our heart more than a hot stove, then my answer will be a sincere smile! ― Mehmet Murat ildan
19. Soul smiles through the lips of a happy face. ― Munia Khan
20. A smile puts you on the right track. A smile makes the world a beautiful place. When you lose your smile, you lose your way in the chaos of life. ― Roy T. Bennett
21. Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic. ― Laini Taylor
22. What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle. ― Rumi
23. A smile is an affordable way of giving someone an expensive gift. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
24. Find magic in the little things, and the big things you always expected will start to show up. ― Isa Zapata
25. Yes I can smile, but it’s so easy to fake it. Yes I can act like I’m happy, but inside I’m falling apart. Yes I can pretend like everything is ok, but in reality I’m broken. ― Ester Escalante
26. Nothing is more beautiful than a smile that has struggled through tears.Demi Lovato
27. You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, who had ever been alive. ― James Baldwin
28. You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun. ― Shaun Hick
29. We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full. ― Marcel Proust
30. I smiled back and I thought how incredible that was, that they would find the time to smile. There was goodness in the world still, even if you couldn’t always see it. ― Jenny Valentine
Inspirational quotes on smiling when sad
31. If the world gives you a thousand reasons to cry, find a thousand and one reasons to smile. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
32. I don’t think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains. ― Anne Frank
33. A genuine smile is one of the world’s rarest treasures. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
34. If you smile when you are alone, then you really mean it. ― Andy Rooney
35. Thousands of reasons are too less to make me sad but a single reason is enough to make me smile. ― Raaz Ojha
36. I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars. ― Stephenie Meyer
37. Stop giving people the power to control your smile, your worth, your attitude and your day. Don’t give anyone that much power over your life. ― Germany Kent
38. There is no beauty in sadness. No honor in suffering. No growth in fear. No relief in hate. It’s just a waste of perfectly good happiness. ― Katerina Stoykova Klemer
39. In this hour, I do not believe that any darkness will endure. ― J.R.R. Tolkien
40. The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater. ― J.R.R. Tolkien
41. Smile at the world. Wink at the stars. Glow at the universe. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
42. Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than you found it.Wilferd A. Peterson
43. And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me. ― Suzanne Collins
44. One smile in the morning can change your mood for the entire day. One hug in the evening can usher you into cheerful night dreams you will never regret! ― Israelmore Ayivor
45. Happiness comes from helping others, by being with others, and by sharing, even if it’s only a smile. ― Zain Hashmi
Quotes about smiling to hide the pain
46. The pain passes, but the beauty remains. ― Pierre-Auguste Renoir
47. Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it. ― J.K. Rowling
48. Today’s tears are an investment into tomorrow’s smiles. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
49. There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt. ― Erma Bombeck
50. Be positive. Stay happy and don’t let the negativity of the world get you down. ― Germany Kent
51. Pain is the feeling. Suffering is the effect the pain inflicts. If one can endure pain, one can live without suffering. If one can withstand pain, one can withstand anything. If one can learn to control pain, one can learn to control oneself. ― James Frey
52. Strange as it may seem, I still hope for the best, even though the best, like an interesting piece of mail, so rarely arrives, and even when it does it can be lost so easily. ― Lemony Snicket
53. The prettiest smile hide the deepest secrets. The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears. And the kindest hearts have felt the most pain. ― Unknown
54. A smile costs you nothing but gains you everything. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
55. He smiled like he couldn’t help it. She couldn’t believe it. He was actally smiling, teeth and all. Had she ever seen him smile before? No, she realized, because right now, it was such a jarring thing to witness that for a moment it felt as though she was sharing the car with a stranger. ― Kelly Creagh
56. Sometimes life brings you to such a pathetic situation that you feel smiling is far better than explaining why you are sad.Unknown
57. It only takes a split second to smile and forget, yet to someone that needed it, it can last a lifetime. ― Steve Maraboli
58. Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day. ― Markus Zusak
59. He took his pain and turned it into something beautiful. Into something that people connect to. And that’s what good music does. It speaks to you. It changes you. ― Hannah Harrington
60. It’s not always the tears that measure the pain. Sometimes it’s the smile we fake. ― Unknown
Fake smile quotes
61. Fake a smile. No one knows you’re broken. ― Demi Lovato
62. Not every smiling face is truly happy; some are just introverts in disguise. ― Fausat
63. The smiles of the unhappiest are often the widest. ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
64. A smile is the best way to get away with trouble even if it’s a fake one. ― Masashi Kishimoto
65. Emotional scars run deeper than the Nile and often lie lurking behind a smile. ― Khang Kijarro Nguyen
66. When others praise you, keep a smile on your face, when others ridicule you, still keep a smile on your face. ― Abhijit Naskar
67. A day becomes gloomy if there are no smiles. Smile to light up the world! ― Debasish Mridha
68. A smiling lie is a whirlwind, easy to enter, but hard to escape. ― Dejan Stojanovic
69. You can only hold a smile for so long, after that it’s just teeth. ― Chuck Palahniuk
70. Genuine happiness is not nearly as common as a fake smile. ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
71. Ever think about all the things that began with a smile? Love, life, happiness, evolution, days. Wow. ― Darnell Lamont Walker
72. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. ― Kahlil Gibran
73. A fake smile may fool the crowd but it never eases the pain.Kelly Brook
74. It wasn’t a good fake smile. You could always tell when she was faking, because she didn’t look friendly; she looked like she was going to throw up. ― Rick Yancey
75. All smiles for the camera are fake. ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
Smiling but hurting inside quotes
76. The loveliest smiles pour out of the ugliest tears. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
77. Many smiling faces hide a bleeding heart. ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
78. Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
79. Smile at strangers and you just might change a life. ― Steve Maraboli
80. Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening. ― Greta Garbo
81. Since I was young, I have always known this: Life damages us, every one. We can’t escape that damage. But now, I am also learning this: We can be mended. We mend each other. ― Veronica Roth
82. There is something chilling about a suffering man, who despite the pain and terror ― is smiling. ― Monaristw
83. Life is a bowl of cherries. Some cherries are rotten while others are good; its your job to throw out the rotten ones and forget about them while you enjoy eating the ones that are good! There are two kinds of people: those who choose to throw out the good cherries and wallow in all the rotten ones, and those who choose to throw out all the rotten ones and savor all the good ones. ― C. JoyBell C.
84. Suffering becomes beautiful whenever a person bears great calamities with cheerfulness. ― Kilroy J. Oldster
85. You smiled then, and your whole face changed with it. It kind of lit up, like there were sunbeams coming from inside you. ― Lucy Christopher
86. My smile widens. It grows and grows, like a plant that you water every day, like a scar that heals from patience, like the time you take to make sure you feel okay. So big and so bright. ― Joya Goffney
87. There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life. ― Alexandre Dumas
88. Smile are like band-aids, they cover up the pain. But still it hurts.
89. Everyday we are writing our own story. Creating habit of smiling, being happy and content has the power to change our subconscious mind and make this happiness as reality of our life. ― Purvi Raniga
90. Too often, behind that smile of mine, I hide a thousand tears. ― Alex V.
More quotes about smiling through pain
91. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ― Leo F. Buscaglia
92. Hope is the power of being cheerful in circumstances that we know to be desperate. ― G.K. Chesterton
93. It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad. ― Jimmy Buffett
94. Strong people are the ones who can smile for others’ happiness. ― Veronica Purcell
95. If you’ve got nothing to dance about, find a reason to sing. ― Melody Carstairs
96. One word can end a fight; One hug can start a friendship; One smile can bring Unity; One person can change your entire life! ― Israelmore Ayivor
97. Smiling is the best way to face every problem, to crush every fear, and to hide every pain. ― Will Smith
98. I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death. ― Nelson Mandela
99. A bad day doesn’t cancel out a good life. Keep going. ― Richie Norton
100. If I can see pain in your eyes then share with me your tears. If I can see joy in your eyes then share with me your smile. ― Santosh Kalwar
101. Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly. ― Ali Ibn Abi Talib
102. Your smile is valuable; if it wasn’t, the world wouldn’t consipre to steal it from you.Matshona Dhliwayo
103. When things are difficult, smile by faith. Don’t wait until you feel better. ― Joel Osteen
104. The most beautiful makeup is the reflection of kindness from a smiling face. ― Debasish Mridha
105. We make our own rainbows while smiling through our tears. ― Peggy Toney Horton
Keep On Smiling Vibes
If you are still not convinced of the power of smiling through the pain, listen to this wonderful song. It’s hard not to smile when you are surrounded by these positive vibes!
Quotes about always smiling
106. I was smiling yesterday, I am smiling today and I will smile tomorrow. Simply because life is too short to cry for anything. ― Santosh Kalwar
107. Behind every beautiful thing, there’s some kind of pain. ― Bob Dylan
108. Keep your face always toward the sunshine ― and shadows will fall behind you. ― Walt Whitman
109. Your smile illuminates the world, your tears sweep the universe. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
110. Withhold a smile only when the smile can hurt someone. Otherwise, let it bloom forth in a riot. ― Vera Nazarian
111. People seldom notice old clothes if you wear a big smile. ― Milton A. Lee
112. Any girl with a grin never looks grim. ― Amit Kalantri
113. The world is in your smile, the universe is in your laughter. ― Matshona Dhliwayo
114. No matter what the day brings and no matter how hard life hits you, if you can breathe, smile and keep moving on!Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
115. Only Americans smile all the time. ― Lucia Berlin
116. Even if you cannot change all the people around you, you can change the people you choose to be around. Life is too short to waste your time on people who don’t respect, appreciate, and value you. Spend your life with people who make you smile, laugh, and feel loved. ― Roy T. Bennett
117. We should smile more often in life. Our smiles make us look better and make us feel happier! ― Avijeet Das
118. Sunshine warms us, as do smiles—which makes me think that smiles are sunbeams reflected off our teeth. ― Richelle E. Goodrich
119. A day gone is a day gone. As they say, don’t let a bad day turn into a bad year. Every sunset is an opportunity to reset. ― Richie Norton
120. No matter where life takes me, you’ll find me with a smile. Presumed to be happy, always laughing like a child. I never thought life could be this sweet! It’s got me cheesing from cheek to cheek! ― Mac Miller
Final thoughts on smiling through the pain
These were all 120 of the powerful quotes about smiling through pain that I had for you. Hope you loved them! Tell me in the comments which one made you smile!
No matter what it is that you are going through, you got it!
You’ll make it through even though it may feel like the end of the world right now.
Don’t suppress your negative emotions: feel them all, breathe, and let them go. And keep smiling to take advantage of those neural painkillers!
If there is someone in your life who is also in pain and might benefit from some encouraging quotes, share this page with that person to show your support.
And here are more positive quotes you may enjoy: