This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclosure.
There is no universal way to live life. Choosing the right path for you is not always an easy task, especially when others around you seem to know exactly what they want from life, and can’t understand your suffering. These 90 encouraging quotes will support and inspire you whenever you feel lost, confused, and alone.
Most relatable feeling lost quotes
Out of all the inspirational quotes about feeling lost in life, these just get you.
1. I guess I can go anywhere I want. If only I knew where to go. – Layne Staley
2. Ted would have preferred not to live like this, but he wasn’t quite sure what to do about it. – Kristen Roupenian
3. Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn’t mean they’re lost forever. – Charles Xavier
4. I felt I was drowning in my negativity. There was no hope of room for patience and no means of escape, no way to either repent or rebel I felt I could not undo the lock. – Jalaluddin Rumi
5. Most people felt lost after high school. Sometimes I felt like I’d never really been found in the first place. – Lish McBride
6. Basically, I was so worried about what everyone else was thinking, I forgot about what I was thinking. – Lisa M. Cronkhite
7. Life is funny isn’t it? Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out, just when you finally begin to plan something, get excited about something, and feel like you know what direction you’re heading in, the paths change, the signs change, the wind blows the other way, north is suddenly south, and east is west, and you’re lost. It is so easy to lose your way, to lose direction. – Cecelia Ahern
Encouraging feeling lost quotes
If you are looking for inspirational quotes because of the lack of support from humans in your life, these quotes on feeling lost will always be there for you. Come back to read them when you can’t find a sense of direction.
8. Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change. – Wayne W. Dyer
9. Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t. – Steve Maraboli
10. No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you’ve come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself. – Madonna
11. Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. – Lao Tzu
12. Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us. – Nicole Reed
13. If you feel like you’re losing everything, remember that trees lose their leaves every year and they still stand tall and wait for better days to come. – Unknown
14. When all else is lost, the future still remains. – Christian Bovee
Feeling lost quotes to help you find your path
If you are feeling lost and frustrated about it, it’s time to change your perspective and see it as a good thing instead. Feeling like this might mean that you no more want to be on your old path, and are ready to explore the options, or create new ones for yourself. Listen to yourself and your honest desires, welcome new opportunities into your life, be kind and caring towards yourself, and do what your heart tells you to.
15. Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman. – Maya Angelou
16. Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost. – Erol Ozan
17. The only way that we can live, is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change. The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself. – C. JoyBell C.
18. Feeling lost? Good! Now you get to walk new paths that lead to much better places. – Robin Sharma
19. There’s never one right path. There are thousands of versions of your life where you have the most fantastic time. You can never choose all of them. But you can realise when you’re feeling stuck and take a small step in a different direction. Even when you have no idea where you’re going, you can follow your curiosity, just to see where it takes you. You don’t need a calling or grand mission. It’s more than enough to make your life a gentle pursuit of love, joy, and curiosity. – Lucy Fuggle
20. It takes courage… to endure the sharp pains of self discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives. – Marianne Williamson
21. I used to spend so much time reacting and responding to everyone else that my life had no direction. Other people’s lives, problems, and wants set the course for my life. Once I realized it was okay for me to think about and identify what I wanted, remarkable things began to take place in my life. – Melody Beattie
Short quotes about feeling lost in life
These are short inspiring quotes to encourage you when you are feeling lost. Choose one favorite and make it your motto, so it will support you when you are struggling the most.
22. We are products of our past, but we don’t have to be prisoners of it. – Rick Warren
23. We’re not lost. We’re just headed somewhere different. – Emily X.R. Pan
24. Those who fear being lost, never find themselves. – Abhijit Naskar
25. Lost is a lovely place to find yourself. – Michael Faudet
26. Not all those who wander are lost. – J.R.R. Tolkien
27. Slowly, with many lost days, I come back to life. – Suzanne Collins
28. Getting lost is just another way of saying ‘going exploring’. – Justina Chen Headley
Best quotes about being lost in life
When you find yourself feeling lost and not knowing what to do next, these quotes will give you hope and positive reassuring that you’ll figure it out.
29. One day, she’d find a way to live her life to the fullest. She was sure of it. She just had no idea how she would manage it. – Ilona Andrews
30. You think you’re lost. You think you’re headed for disaster. But this isn’t true. Quiet your mind. Be patient. Let go. – Brittany Burgunder
31. If I only knew that being lost was a clue to finding within me the courage and greatness to keep moving forward, I would never have lived small. – Priya Kumar
32. Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge. – Eckhart Tolle
33. Sometimes being lost will be our most glorious adventure. We will leave behind the baggage we no longer wish to carry and then find that we need less and less anyway. – Victoria Price
34. Embrace feeling lost. It’s the beginning state of doing it your way. – Unknown
35. When you feel lost, listen to your soul. It will tell you where to go. – C.A. Martine
Feeling lost quotes to inspire change in you
Here are a bunch of refreshing quotes to change your perspective on your current situation and even help you enjoy life in the process of carving your path.
36. They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. – Andy Warhol
37. It’s never too late to change your life for the better. You don’t have to take huge steps to change your life. Making even the smallest changes to your daily routine can make a big difference to your life. – Roy T. Bennett
38. Life is painful and messed up. It gets complicated at the worst of times, and sometimes you have no idea where to go or what to do. Lots of times people just let themselves get lost, dropping into a wide open, huge abyss. But that’s why we have to keep trying. We have to push through all that hurts us, work past all our memories that are haunting us. Sometimes the things that hurt us are the things that make us strongest. A life without experience, in my opinion, is no life at all. And that’s why I tell everyone that, even when it hurts, never stop yourself from living. – Alysha Speer
39. Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain. – Vivian Greene
40. The reason a lot of people can’t find happiness is because they don’t look for it. They allow themselves to be stuck in the same situations. Sometimes happiness comes with the courage to break free. – Ron Baratono
41. Feeling sorry for yourself, and your present condition, is not only a waste of energy but the worst habit you could possibly have. – Dale Carnegie
42. Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. – George Bernard Shaw
Quotes for when you are feeling lost and alone
If you are lost and nobody offers you a hand to pull you out of the darkness, remember that online therapy is just one click away. Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness, so be strong and let someone be there for you when life is tough. These quotes on feeling lost and alone will support you along the way and make you feel safer.
43. Being alone with your feelings is the worst because you have nowhere to run. They’re here, dancing in your mind and all you can do is handle. – Unknown
44. Lost myself trying to please everyone, now I’m losing everyone else trying to find myself. – Nitya Prakash
45. No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side. – Stephen King
46. A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone. – Mandy Hale
47. Feeling lost and alone inside I faked a sweet smile. Being fun object for people I cried silently for a while. Being misunderstood always I tried to give up on life. – Sayali Shinde
48. If people refuse to look at you in a new light and they can only see you for what you were, only see you for the mistakes you’ve made, if they don’t realize that you are not your mistakes, then they have to go. – Steve Maraboli
49. My room is so quiet and empty, it hurts. – Nina LaCour
Best quotes about being lost and confused
Life doesn’t always go according to plan. If you find yourself lost and confused, these quotes will encourage you to keep going until you find a new direction.
50. As we travel along this road called life, occasionally a girl will find herself a little lost. And when that happens, she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda, buck up and just keep going. – Carrie Bradshaw
51. For anyone who feels lost in their own way, going back to who you are and what you love or moving forward to whoever you are meant to be or meant to love, is the purpose of being lost. We lose ourselves, so we can find out who we truly are. And when by fate we do, we discover the best version of ourselves. – Joanne Crisner
52. Once you lose yourself, you have two choices: find the person you used to be, or lose that person completely. – H. G. Wells
53. Sometimes we are that fly in the house, that thinks it sees an open window. So it crawls to, or flies head-on into clear glass. At times getting stuck between the storm and pane, it dies in the windowsill under a tormenting, hot sun. – Anthony Liccione
54. Just keep going like crazy and look back when it’s over. Otherwise, you just get confused. – Cliff Burton
55. But when they changed their plans time and time again, the dates became confused, the periods were mislaid, and one day seemed so much like another that one could not feel them pass. – Gabriel García Márquez
56. Don’t give so much of yourself to others that you end up losing yourself. – Unknown
Sad quotes about feeling lost
If you are not looking for encouragement but for the right words to express your feelings, these quotes should help:
57. The light within the darkness – you’ve lost sight of it. – Shiro Amano
58. I sleep through the next day. Each time I go to the bathroom, I try not to look in the mirror. Once, I catch my reflection: it looks like I’ve been punched in both eyes. I can’t talk about the day that follows that. – Nina LaCour
59. I’m not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I’m not sure that I want to wake up. – Gayle Forman
60. Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself to become a new person. – Gerard Way
61. I realize now that I wanted to disappear. To get so lost that nobody ever found me. To go so far away that I’d never be able to make my way home again. But I have no idea why. – Jessica Warman
62. I need someone. I need to hold somebody close. And I need more than this holding. I need someone to understand how I feel at a time like now. And the understanding must be part of the holding. – Betty Smith
63. Butterflies are only fragile when they forget that they can fly. – C. Churchill
Feeling lost quotes to support you when life is hard
It’s ok to be lost sometimes. This feeling allows you to take a fresh look at your life and realize that maybe you aren’t going in the right direction. Maybe your old path is not fulfilling anymore or doesn’t lead to your dream destination. Let these quotes hug you with support and provide new ideas to think about.
64. You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won’t drown, even though you would float if you’d just relax. – Natsuki Takaya
65. Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. – Henry David Thoreau
66. Sometimes being lost is itself a catalyst for spiritual renewal and redemption. – Niles Elliot Goldstein
67. There’s a drive in a lost soul – in one that is searching for acceptance, companionship, belonging, whatever you want to call it. The slightest coincidence ignites a spark that one hopes will lead to something meaningful. – Doug Cooper
68. Being lost is a confusing place to be, but you cannot make it better if you allow yourself to be hindered by the wall that it creates. – Nathan Wilkus
69. Be patient with all that is unresolved within your heart, and try to love the questions. – Rainer Maria Rilke
70. You’ve always had the power, my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself. – The Wizard Of Oz
Quotes about feeling lost in a relationship
Sometimes you get so focused on building a loving relationship that you lose a sense of who you are. These quotes all talk about being lost in a relationship and are here to remind you that you are already beautiful and whole.
71. The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too. – Ernest Hemingway
72. In this world, it is too common for people to search for someone to lose themselves in. But I am already lost. I will look for someone to find myself in. – C. JoyBell C.
73. The worst thing that can ever happen to a couple is not cheating, but it’s reaching a plateau in your relationship’s sensual growth. – Lebo Grand
74. If you’re searching for a quote that puts your feelings into words – you won’t find it. You can learn every language and read every word ever written – but you’ll never find what’s in your heart. How can you? He has it. – Ranata Suzuki
75. There is an ocean of silence between us… and I am drowning in it. – Ranata Suzuki
76. I had begun to feel that life was a repetition of the same thing; that there was nothing new either in me or in him; and that, on the contrary, we kept going back as it were on what was old. – Leo Tolstoy
77. Your smile and your laughter lit my whole world. – Ranata Suzuki
Quotes about feeling empty and lost
If the feeling of emptiness inside you is intimidating, stop overthinking it as much. See it for what it is: a clean space in your mind ready to be filled with new and exciting experiences! It might just be that you closed an old chapter in life and are ready to start off a clean slate and step into your new chapter.
These are the best quotes about feeling empty and lost:
78. Why does the feeling of emptiness occupy so much space? – James de la Vega
79. I was as hollow and empty as the spaces between stars. – Raymond Chandler
80. I lost myself trying to find happiness in things that didn’t love me back. – Sarah Addison Allen
81. In a full heart there is room for everything, and in an empty heart there is room for nothing. – Antonio Porchia
82. Life is full and overflowing with the new. But it is necessary to empty out the old to make room for the new to enter. – Eileen Caddy
83. They say you don’t get over someone until you find someone or something better. As humans, we don’t deal well with emptiness. Any empty space must be filled. Immediately. The pain of emptiness is too strong. It compels the victim to fill that place. A single moment with that empty spot causes excruciating pain. That’s why we run from distraction to distraction and from attachment to attachment. – Yasmin Mogahed
84. I am unable to describe exactly what is the matter with me; now and then there are horrible fits of anxiety, apparently without cause, or otherwise a feeling of emptiness and fatigue in the head. – Vincent Van Gogh
Quotes about being lost and finding your way
If you keep going and believing in a better future, you will reach it eventually. It’s inevitable. Stay strong and let these quotes about being lost help you find a new path.
85. This is a new year. A new beginning. And things will change. – Taylor Swift
86. If you feel lost, disappointed, hesitant, or weak, return to yourself, to who you are, here and now and when you get there, you will discover yourself, like a lotus flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful and strong. – Masaru Emoto
87. You got to go down a lot of wrong roads to find the right one. – Bob Parsons
88. Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. – William Jennings Bryan
89. Just because you feel lost doesn’t mean you can’t be found again. – Tanya Dalton
90. In the middle of this journey, we lose a bit of ourselves. We do not know where we are or where we’re headed. We look for directions, seek for guidance, and if we’re lucky, we find it without too much time lost. And if we’re truly lucky, we gain our whole selves back, with an ounce of wisdom on top. – Joanne Crisner
Final thoughts about feeling lost in life
There are many things in life that can lead you to feel lost, confused, misguided, or alone. Whatever brought you here, don’t give it the power to ruin your life!
Inspire yourself with quotes, positive self-talk, and other sources of encouragement. Talk to people who love you about it, or to a professional listener if you are afraid of being judged and misunderstood by your loved ones.
Feeling lost is not forever unless you keep complaining and stay stuck in a state of feeling sorry for yourself. There is always light at the end of the tunnel, and you’ll inevitably find your path if you don’t give up.
Here are more inspirational quotes to encourage you:
- 100 Inspiring Quotes For Staying Positive In Tough Times
- 33 Inspirational Quotes About Hope In Hard Times
- 100 Quotes About Following Your Own Path And Not The Crowd
- 100 Stress Relief Quotes To Release Tension And Relax
- 101 Positive Uplifting Quotes For Hard Times
- 77 Words Of Encouragement For A Friend In Need
- 99 Best Self Discovery Quotes To Help You Find Your Authentic Self