This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclosure.
If your life doesn’t go in the direction you want it to go, one of the reasons might be that you aren’t aligned with your goals. In this post, I prepared 20 affirmations to trust yourself that will help you release self-doubt and believe in your abilities.
Learning to trust yourself is definitely a process, and for most people, it doesn’t come easily. You might have strong subconscious beliefs that were either imposed on you as part of your upbringing or built by you over the years of consciously or unconsciously lying to yourself.
As you make a decision to trust yourself from now on, be aware that it won’t happen overnight. You’ll need to replace your current thoughts and neural patterns that might have been carved deep into your mind, being repeated for years and years. It’s not a quick process, but it’s 100% possible.
Thanks to neuroplasticity, you can rewire your brain into basically any mindset you want, as long as you stick to a new way of thinking long enough for it to become your default way. This means that you can learn to trust yourself completely by reintroducing this idea over and over again and supporting it with your actions that I’ll explain below.
By learning this concept, you’ll be powerful enough to transform any negative belief that is holding you back into a positive one.
Intrigued? Keep reading!
Why is it so hard to trust yourself?
If you find trusting yourself difficult, that’s because you have conflicting beliefs that cause resistance. Deep inside you know for a fact that you never keep the promises that you give yourself. Either this or someone in your past reiterated the idea about you being untrustworthy or unreliable and you got used to believing it.
Whichever reason it is for you, you need to reintroduce an idea that you can trust yourself, and that it’s safe to do so. Repeating trust affirmations is a good first step, but you also need to actively show yourself that you are, in fact, trustworthy.
We can believe in words so long as they don’t contradict the actions. When you have a friend who keeps breaking promises they gave to you, you’ll soon write this person off as unreliable and stop trusting them. It will take them more than one apology or one kept promise to change your opinion and gain your trust back, right?
The same goes for trusting yourself, and it’s even harder because when you yourself mess up, you don’t have anyone else to blame, so your brain is even more protective and eager to prevent this from happening.
How to trust yourself more
Here are 5 steps to regain your own trust:
- Grow your self-esteem. Your low confidence is the first thing that stops you from trusting yourself. There are many ways to raise it though: use positive affirmations for self-esteem, celebrate little achievements, take a public speaking course, or talk to a therapist to figure out what is the main cause of your bad self-image and how you can improve it.
- Visualize the positive outcome. Struggling to trust yourself often comes with anxiety, worrying about the worst thing that can happen, and being afraid of failure and judgment if you make a wrong decision. Instead of imagining all possible negative outcomes, try to visualize the best one next time and send your energy to that mental picture to bring it into your reality.
- Affirm that you are trustworthy. The 20 affirmations you’ll find below will help you reaffirm the important things about your worth and strengthen your self-belief over time. But you can’t avoid the next step!
- Give yourself promises you can keep. If yesterday you decided that you will eat healthier or exercise every day, and today you spend all day in bed with a bag of chips, you become a liar in your own eyes. If this is something you repeatedly did in the past, no wonder you can’t trust yourself anymore. Start being honest with yourself, and don’t make promises to yourself that you know in your heart you won’t keep. You need to teach your brain to trust you again, so make little promises every day and make sure to keep them!
- Make your own decisions and stick to them. When you don’t trust yourself, you are very dependent on other people’s opinions. There is nothing wrong with asking for advice but you need to make your own decisions and not just do what people tell you to do. If you are easily convinced, maybe try to not ask for anyone’s opinion next time. Evaluate all the options, choose your path, and stick to it. Don’t back off after a random comment from some stranger! Even if you make a mistake, trust yourself to learn from it and move on. Next time you won’t make it for sure.
20 Affirmations for trusting yourself
These are 20 powerful affirmations to trust yourself more:
1. I trust myself completely
This is the first thing you should repeat to yourself every day if you want to regain your trust. You will feel resistance at first, and it’s ok. Keep reaffirming and building a new positive belief about yourself!
2. I have my own best interest in mind
Who can know you better than yourself? There is literally nobody in the world who knows better what’s best for you. (Unless you are a minor. Then listen to your parents who love you and want the best for you!)
Some of the fears and painful experiences may lead you to self-sabotage, and that’s a topic for another day. But even then, deep down you know what is the right thing to do, you just choose not to for some irrational reason you convince yourself in.
This affirmation will reaffirm that your intentions for your future are pure and positive, so it’s safe to trust yourself.
3. I love myself and care about myself
Be your own best friend and start treating yourself like you would your bestie. You deserve love, kindness, and support, so make the time for self-care even when you think you don’t have it.
4. I always know what’s the best for me
Yes, you do! And if there is a situation when you aren’t sure, don’t rush to ask for advice. Sit down with yourself, make an honest list of the pros and cons of every possibility, and you’ll realize you’ve known all along what the right choice is.
5. I can trust myself to make the right decision
This is what all positive affirmations for trust are meant to tell you. You don’t need another person to decide for you or approve your every step. You are an adult, you are smart, and you can make the right decision.
And if you don’t always make the right decision, don’t blame yourself. You are human, and you are allowed to make mistakes. Learn your lesson, and don’t make the same wrong choice again. See each failure as an opportunity for growth.
6. I make good choices that make my life better
The power of the affirmations for trusting yourself is that you can repeat them while taking the real action to prove yourself right. Make smart choices that you know are good for you and do things every day that will make you happier. And each time you do something like that, reaffirm this statement to build new neural pathways that link to good choices and habits.
7. I am strong and powerful
This is my go-to affirmation to build self-confidence. The more resistance you feel, the more you should repeat this affirmation. You are strong enough to handle the results of your actions, and you are powerful enough to make important choices that will lead to a better life.
You can also use other powerful words to describe your personality if some of them get a stronger emotional response when you apply them to yourself.
8. I am the creator of my own reality
You are the master of your life, and you are in control. You can manifest any new beginning you want, and achieve every dream you really go all in for. Don’t let anybody else affect your decisions, scare you, or hold you back from living your best life. Trust yourself, and make your reality worth living in!
9. I always listen to my intuition when I feel uncertain
Even though intuition is not a physical organ that can be studied, we all know we have it. You might get in trouble or even feel like you have a rough patch if you get used to ignoring your intuition. If that’s the case, reiterate a new belief with this affirmation and learn to trust your inner voice again.
10. My gut tells me when something is not right
This affirmation is closely related to the previous one and is especially important if you for example have friends who are a bad influence. Next time instead of listening to them and ignoring the gut feeling that screams trying to protect you, choose yourself and see where it takes you.
11. I seek inner peace and trust my inner voice
Keeping yourself in a peaceful state of mind no matter what happens is a skill that can prove useful in various life moments. When your mind is peaceful, you can better control yourself and handle the situation, as well as avoid making rushed decisions and overreacting to things that are not worth it. Seek inner peace at all times and you’ll become a much calmer and more reliable person.
12. I feel grounded and enjoy the present moment
I added this one to my list of self-trust affirmations because I believe that mindfulness can help you trust yourself more. By paying attention to the present moment and doing things mindfully, you build a deeper connection with your inner self which is also a good foundation for trusting yourself.
13. I am worthy of love and caring relationships
If you are trustworthy enough so another person can rely on you completely, you are definitely good enough to trust yourself. Become a loving and reliable potential partner, and it will help grow your self-worth in other respects.
14. I believe in myself and my potential
You might not know your full potential at the moment, but you surely have an idea of the areas you’re good at. Stop belittling your achievements and diminishing your worth by saying there is nothing special about you. Own your talents and go get your hands dirty with new skills if you haven’t found your calling just yet.
15. I am enough and whole exactly as I am
You might think that you need to become a better version of yourself before you can be trustworthy. Or that you need to do more or be someone else in order to achieve the things you want and to be loved by other people.
None of this is true! You are perfectly fine as you are now, and you deserve to have all the things you desire! Yes, you might need to be more careful and responsible with your promises, but we’ll work on that. Accept that you are enough and whole already, and you don’t need to prove anything to anyone, and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.
16. I am grateful to be me
If you aren’t happy to be you, you definitely are taking lots of things for granted. Think about the features that you like about yourself, both personality-wise and appearance-wise. If you can’t think of anything, your self-esteem is extremely low right now, so go back to the first step for trusting yourself in my list above. Work on your confidence every day until you start to appreciate being you, and not anybody else.
17. I am guided by the Universe to my best life
Trusting yourself goes hand in hand with trusting the Universe. You need to be aligned with your goals and take inspired action to achieve them. You might not always realize that it was higher guidance that led to this or that, and that’s ok. As long as you trust the process and take advantage of the circumstances when they work in your favor, you’ll get closer and closer to your dream life.
18. I am letting go of all my worries and fears
Constant worrying about the future might be the reason you are not successful yet. Whether with the help of meditation, breathwork, or positive self-talk, you might need to release your worries and blockages so you can trust yourself to accomplish new things you can be proud of.
19. I am capable of achieving everything I want
If you think you need to prove yourself your worth before you can believe in it, you are wrong. Affirmations for self-trust, as well as any manifestation really, work the opposite way! You have to believe first so that you can attract the matter into your reality. If you don’t believe, you don’t attract. It’s that simple.
Think about it: if in order to believe that you are capable to achieve everything you want you need to actually achieve everything you want, how is it even possible? You’ll always want something new after you accomplish your current goal, it’s the normal process of growing. So achieving everything you want is not realistic at any moment of your life, and if you keep waiting for it so you can start believing in yourself, you’ll make it hard for yourself to actually achieve something.
20. I have everything I need within me
If you can think it, you can achieve it. If you can imagine yourself living the life of your dreams, if it’s really your goal and not imposed on you by anyone else, it’s in your power to get there. Accept that you already have everything you need within you to make the first step to achieving your goal. Otherwise, you wouldn’t even have this desire! Focus on what you have, and everything that’s missing can be obtained and learned in the process.
And at every step of the way, trust yourself to make it till the end!
Conclusion on trusting yourself
These were your 20 positive affirmations for self-trust! Keep repeating them every day along with the rest of the steps I listed in the beginning to regain your own trust.
It’s really hard to navigate life without trusting yourself! Whenever you have a decision to make and no one around to rely on, you’ll feel lonely and anxious and lost in uncertainty. This is not good for your mental health, nor for your self-image. Use affirmations to grow your self-esteem so that you can feel confident and comfortable being alone with yourself and making your own decisions without too much overthinking!
Read this next: